Thursday, June 22, 2006

Pleasure Reading for Geeks

I love to read. If you know me at all, that was definately not a shock to you. In the distant past I read The Boxcar Children, The Bobbsey Twins and even the old Nancy Drew books. As I grew up I began to read romance novels by Janette Oke or Lori Wick and mystery stories by Frank Peretti.

Somewhere, though, I turned into a hardcore geek. Pleasure reading these days consists of The Sermons of Jonathan Edwards, The Pleasures of God by John Piper and Bible commentaries. My "light" reading right now: The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis.

Don't laugh- I'm serious.

The commentary I am reading right now is on Ephesians by John MacArthur. I read through Ephesians a couple weeks ago as apart of my "through the Bible in a year" plan. As I read it I was struck with the depth and beauty that is woven into every chapter. Christ is exalted, the church is admonished and the believer is encouraged.

MacArthur does an wonderful job of explaining every detail in each verse. I have read two chapters in the commentary and have only covered six verses.

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing
in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before
the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless
before him. In love he predestined us for adoption through
Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise
of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.
In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness
of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he
lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known
to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose,
which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time,
to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth."
Ephesians 1:4-10

I cannot even begin to grasp the depth of this passage. I am blessed, loved, chosen, accepted, holy, blameless, redeemed and forgiven. Every spiritual blessing in Christ is mine. I was chosen before the beginning of time to be like Christ.

Many people have a hard time with words like "chosen" and "predestined." Many people have a hard time thinking that God would choose some and not others. Yet, how amazingly beautiful to know that God saved me. When everything that I have done seperates me from God, the thought that God reached down and pulled me out of the depths of despair is more than I can fathom. I am grateful for His grace. I want to swim in His redemption.

So this is is what geeks read and think about in their spare time. I'm not ashamed of it for I was made to be staggered with the knowledge of God's character!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

According to the world's standards, I have a feeling that God would be labled as a geek :) let's see... there's the super-brainiac scientists and philosophers, then of course the literary pleasures of self-declared geeks, such as you and me, but to think that God is abouve alllll those... the creator thereof. If the people simply engaged in the process of studying are considered to be geeks, then what about the One who invented, created, designed all that is studied? :) :) Now, I realize that saying this could be misconstrued as being rude, irreverant and such, but really, I just love the thought of our Lord taking time to individually design every vein of every blade of grass, and enjoying the process. Fortunately for us, He authored His life-altering thoughts, and allows us and others to appreciate the depth and complexities of His mindfullness. :)

Jaclyn said...

Hahaha... I agree with you wholeheartedly! I do not think it is irreverant to say God is a geek, for if you use the word geek in the braniac term, it is perfect for Him! I LOVE it that He placed inside me a desire to know Him more and to be staggered by His character. And to think that He doesn't have to think about any of it... He just is. He is knowledge. He is information. He is the source, power, sustainer and creator behind all that we see as reality. The mind-bending thought that He is above it all and therefore not controlled by it is unfathomable! ::Sigh:: thinking about God like this keeps life in perspective, huh? :-) Love you girl!