Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Meeting Missionaries

On Sunday I had the privilege of meeting a missionary from Central Asia. He is a close friend of our pastor and is staying with them for a couple months this summer while he is on furlough. He will be coming to our church and helping with ministry... for a true servant of God never tires of doing good, even when they are "home" to "rest." A bonus for Ben: he plays the djembea VERY well! It adds so much the sound of music when a little drum beat is included!

This man is one of the most amazing missionaries I have ever met. You can see the love for his calling in his eyes when he speaks. You can hear conviction in his voice when he talks. He is gentle and fun, serious and a jokester.

I was able to spend more time with him yesterday when the youth group from Canyon Ridge (my church) went to the mountains. We talked of missions, ministry in the United States and our fondness for a good tasting banana. When we were entering the state park I told Ben to make sure to pay for the missionary man. He, comically quipped, "Everyone thinks I am special." The tone of his voice and the look on his face was absolutely HILARIOUS! He went on to explain, of course, that what he meant was that people treat him differently because he is a missionary. They want to pay for his food, his entertainment and baby him. I said, "That's good!" He said, "But I am no different than anyone else." I told him, "Yes you are- you are out serving God in a difficult part of the world, giving of your life and should be spoiled when you are home!"

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know him while he is here and hopefully blessing him with encouragement before he returns to the field. Please pray that God will revive his passion and give him renewed strength. Pray that God will be with the people he left behind. Pray that revival will come to the people he is serving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a blessed time drinking in God's beautiful creation! What a blessing for the 'missionary man' (haha) to rest in the midst of y'all this summer! I hope that I'll be able to meet him and hear some stories of how God is working to build His kingdom!
Love you!