Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A Personal Confession

I have a personal confession to make. What, you might ask? Turn with me, please, to the dictionary for the definition of "confession."

con·fes·sion- n.
1- The act or process of confessing.
2- Something confessed, especially disclosure of one's sins to a priest for absolution.
3- A written or oral statement acknowledging guilt, made by one who has been accused or charged with an offense.
4- An avowal of belief in the doctrines of a particular faith; a creed.
5- A church or group of worshipers adhering to a specific creed.

The specific meaning in my thoughts tonight is summarized in definition number four, "An avowal of belief in the doctrines of a particular faith; a creed."

For several months I have had a desire to write a personal Confession. The Scripture is full of commands, blessings, direction and hope. I would like to physically record on paper what the Bible says and therefore what I will believe. Many groups of Christians (see this link) have outlined their doctrine in confession form. They are deep, powerful, convicting and full of truth. Still, there is a level of learning that is not reached when I read another author's work. I like to dig in for myself as well.

It would be easy to simply write a list of what Jaclyn thinks. Yet, I want to take this idea of writing a personal Confession a step farther. Belief is not centered on personal preference but on God Himself. Belief is not something I pick up when I am in need and lay aside when I am done. Belief is a life-style. Belief is everything. And belief affects everything.

What I believe about God, Jesus, the Bible, the origin of the world, humanity, sin and salvation will define the very core of my existence. What I believe will govern what I choose to say. What I believe will determine what I wear. What I believe will explain my motives, passions, dreams, desires and goals. What I believe tells you the movies, music and entertainment I will enjoy. What I believe changes everything.

The topics I will explore are as follows (NOT an exhaustive list... for I am sure to remember more!) :
- God
- Jesus
- Holy Spirit
- Bible
- Prayer
- Miracles
- Creation
- Grace
- Predestination
- Heaven
- Hell
- Angels and Demons
- Movies
- Music
- Books
- Money
- Marriage
- Men/ Husbands/ Fathers
- Women/Wives/ Mothers
- Family
- Children
- Birth Control
- Alcohol
- Abortion
- Homosexuality
- Government
- The Church
- Worship

It looks terribly daunting and overwhelming. I am not sure how long it will take me. I will try to share the outcome with you in bits and pieces. For now, I thought it might just spawn some personal introspection of your own.

What DO you believe? Why? Is it based on personal preference (what you like and don't like)? Is it based on Scripture? Can you turn to the exact passages and correctly handle the Word of Truth? Are you afraid to study for fear you might need to change?

Sunglasses are used only when you need them. Contacts, on the other hand, allow you to see life as it truly is. Contacts go where you go. Contacts are needed all the time. Contacts enhance vision. Join me in taking off the sunglasses of common Christianity and inserting the contacts of Biblical Christ-likeness.

No comments: