Monday, September 19, 2005

Friend 1- Brother, Musician, Travel Buddy

Name: Benjamin John
Age: 18
Relationship: Brother

"So, how did you two meet?"
This question was posed to us as we introduced ourselves to someone this weekend. Ben jokingly replied, "I was born." Well, that is the truth. I was almost four years old when my first baby brother entered this world.

All About Ben
Food: Pizza, Dr. Thunder, doughnuts, anything fatty, sugary, unhealthy and greasy. Basically a typical eighteen-year olds diet. Yes, he stays skinny.
Music: Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, Charlie Hall
Authors: Louie Giglio, Oswald Chambers, A.W. Tozer, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis
Hobbies: Guitars, guitars, guitars... did I say playing his guitar? Ok, playing the guitar.
Enjoys: Ultimate frisbee, movies, music, family, board games, sleeping, etc.
Movies: Lord of the Rings, Anne of Green Gables, Pride and Prejudice, The Man from Snowy River, Return to Snowy River and others
Characters he has starred as: Peter Pan and Jim Elliot (what a variety!)

Nicknames
He was Ben-Ben for the majority of our younger years. As we grew this changed to a number of affectionate titles such as, "GET BACK HERE!!!!" and "STOP THAT" as I chased him through the house. Wait, those aren't nicknames. I am sure he thought they were! Seriously now, I have called him Benji and Benny the most. More interesting names I will keep in strict family confidence. Oh, yes... Matthew Cuthbert is one of his "nicknames" which I will explain next.

Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert
We tease each other that we will never marry since no one around seems to match...yet. Therefore, we will live together until a ripe old age like the famous brother and sister Cuthberts. We may even adopt a red-headed orphan. Nah, we'd rather run a whole orphanage in the middle of a deep jungle. I would teach and Ben would lead music. We kind of act like Matthew and Marilla sometimes. Ben can be passive. I can be too serious. Praise God that we are a work in progress, always growing and changing through His power!

We have done everything and been everywhere together. The following is truly a brief list :
- Skiing, singing, sleeping, eating, walking, talking, riding, running, swiming, biking, drawing, painting, cooking, cleaning, sledding, shopping, vacuuming, hiding, tattling, hiking, driving, gleaning, meetings and many other "ings".

- Laser tag, ultimate frisbee, touch football, softball, baseball, tennis, etc.

- Mission trips, vacations, homeless shelters, orphanages, concerts, stores, lock-ins, conferences, doctor, dentist, salon, theater, stadiums, churches, museums, airports and much more.

-Cars, trucks, buses, planes (one flown by Ben), boats, trains, taxis, ferry, go carts, wagons, bumper cars, roller coasters, ferris wheels, horses, elephants and Safari Jeeps.

- Romania (x2), Tanzania (without either parent), Austria, Holland (x2, once without either parent), Canada and over 30 U.S. states.

I think you get the point...

Memories
Most of these only Ben will know what I mean... "HI COW!" Austrian rain. Flaggler. Aspen. Love, Liberty, Disco. Babati roads. Extreme sledding. Concert in the rain. Cattles Wart. And more and more and more.

Faithful Friend
Growing up my mother always told us that we would be the best friend each other would ever have. How true that has been. My friendship with Ben is not like others. He sees me at my worst and sees me at my best. I have criticized, tortured, got in trouble, slapped, bossed around, begged and yelled at him. But do you know what?

He still loves me. He still kisses me goodnight before he heads to bed. He still listens to my crazy ideas. He still encourages me to grow. He is always there.

I love you, Ben. I admore your courage, honesty, playfulness, responsibility, talents, memory, knowledge, goals, convictions and passions. I am honored to be your sister.

No comments: